The hustle and bustle of the holidays is nearing its end. Now, it’s time to start planning for the new year!
As an entrepreneur, you’re likely familiar with all of the different tasks required as you wrap up the year. One of the most important tasks to bump to the top of your priority list? Setting goals!
It doesn’t have to be a difficult process, and there’s no better time to start goal-setting than with the new year right around the corner! To make it even easier, we’ve compiled six goal-setting tips to help you set your business up for success.
1. Analyze your current state.
It’s important to look back and reflect on the past year so you can visualize and plan out your goals for the new year. Analyze any successes, challenges, weaknesses, available resources and gaps. Though it might be a bit tough to look at the negative parts, it will allow you to identify any areas for improvement and help determine the direction you want your business to go in the future.
2. Always, always, always set SMART goals you’re passionate about.
SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-Sensitive. The key things to remember:
Be specific when setting your goals; being vague won’t help you in the long run!
Decide how you’ll measure your goals. Outline key performance indicators (KPIs) to use as benchmarks to guide you.
Make realistic goals you’re likely to stick with. While you should have a mix of long-term and short-term goals, they should all be realistic so you can keep the momentum going and your motivation high.
Ensure your goals are relevant to your business.
Set out and follow a schedule and any associated deadlines.
3. Write your goals down. Whether on paper or in a digital format, your goals will become more real when you can physically see them, making it more likely you will work toward achieving them.
4. Once you’ve outlined your goals, prioritize them. You can’t do everything at once. Write out a list of all of your goals and chip away at them in order of priority, focusing on a few goals before moving on to the next. You won’t benefit your business by setting dozens of goals, only to complete a few (or none) of them.
5. Commit to your goals. Not everything related to your goals will be fun. In fact, some goals will require a lot of hard work or be downright tedious. It’s imperative you follow through with them for the long-term (which is also why it’s very important for them to be realistic)!
6. Finally, stay accountable! You don’t need to shout your goals from the rooftop but involving a few friends and family will help you follow through. Another option? Join some online or in-person communities in your industry or for small businesses, where you can go for advice and ideas.
Join Hustle + Charm for opportunities to network and collaborate with other local entrepreneurs and other goodies like resources to keep you and your business on track, discounts on workshops, seminars and other events, and more! It’s always a great feeling to have a support system to keep you motivated!
Goal-setting for your business doesn’t need to be difficult. Taking the time to properly plan out your goals is critical to starting the new year on the right foot!
Watch for details on upcoming Hustle + Charm workshops that will help you with your goal-setting and other elements for a successful business!